The recipe for Thieves Oil is believed to have originated from thieves during the 15th century. According to popular theory, the concoction was created by a group of thieves and grave robbers to protect themselves from contracting the plague while robbing the bodies of the gravely ill and deceased.
When apprehended, the thieves admitted to using the oils and disclosed the formula in order to receive a less severe punishment for their crimes.
We don’t know whether or not this story is true, but the
essential oils are antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-infectious.
They will stimulate the immune system, circulation and respiratory system, and
help protect against the flu, colds, bronchitis, pneumonia, sore throats, cuts,
and more. Modern testing has also proven the effectiveness of this blend and
studies have found it to have a high kill rate against airborne
This is a classic recipe for Thieves Oil, but you can customize it by adjusting the quantities or adding other antibacterial essential oils such as Tea Tree, Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Raven Sara, Lavender, Juniper Berry, Hyssop, Bay Laurel, or Scotch Pine.
40 drops organic Clove Bud essential oil
35 drops organic Lemon essential oil
20 drops organic Cinnamon Bark essential oil
15 drops organic Eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops organic Rosemary essential oil
Mix all essential oils together in a dark glass bottle.
There are many ways that you can use the blend, here are some of the most common applications:
- To sanitize and purify the air in your home or workplace, place 2-3 drops of the Thieves essential oil blend in a diffuser, nebulizer, or in a pot of simmering water on the stove. Diffuse for approximately 20-30 minutes. This is especially beneficial if someone in your home or workplace is sick.
- Make an antibacterial all-purpose spray for cleaning and disinfecting your home or workplace. This is perfect for office spaces and shared areas! Fill a spray bottle with water and add 1 drop of the Thieves essential oil blend for each ounce of water. Spray on countertops, desks, and on other surfaces. Make sure to shake before using as the oil and water will naturally separate.
- Use the above combination (1 drop of essential oil blend to each ounce of water in a spray bottle) on insect bites, poison oak, and poison ivy rashes. It reduces inflammation, pain, itching, and irritation.
- Mix 1 drop of the Thieves essential oil blend with 4 oz organic Jojoba or Olive oil. Use as a massage oil for sore muscles, the lower back, neck, and feet. It can also be dabbed on skin throughout the day for general cold and flu prevention and immune support.
- When congested, mix 1 drop of the essential oil blend with 4 oz organic Jojoba or Olive oil, and rub under the nose or on the chest. Or, place 1-2 drops in a bowl of hot, steaming water and inhale the vapors under a towel to relieve congestion.
* Please note that essential oils are highly concentrated liquids that can be harmful if not used carefully and properly. Because of this, we do not recommend using essential oils internally. Essential oils should only be taken internally if you have received a detailed consultation and prescription from a trained and qualified aromatherapy practitioner